[bksvol-discuss] reading 1776

  • From: Jill O'Connell <jillocon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:40:40 -0700

Since we are on this subject of quality, I am presently reading 1776 by David
McCullough. Since Gustavo mentioned this book in his newsletter, I assume that
it was scanned in office. It was given an excellent rating but obviously the
stripper wasn't working part of the time so there are unreadable garbled lines.
I assume that these books are not validated since one wouldn't have to read
very far to begin to see the problems. What especially concerns me about such
books is that their rating of excellent makes them available for brailling
through the Braille Institute; as this is fairly costly, I for one would be
very disappointed if I paid that kind of money and ended up with the not
esxcellent quality. I know there are differences of opinion on this list, but I
for one would far rather see quality than 24000 books, too many of which are
not enjoyable reading. I am a braille reader and maybe this is more noticeable
for us, but I can't imagine how DAISY handles the garbled line
 s either
tant to sacrifice quality by not validating in favor of having the book on
Bookshare so soon after it comes out?