[bksvol-discuss] Re: quickly checking page numbers in book

  • From: Jim and Flo <jfpardee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 15:00:46 -0400

Hi,
After scanning in Kurzweil I remove the headers by highlighting the author and title and removing them with find and replace. Then starting with page 1 using operator defined page numbers I run through the entire book page by page useing page down. Kurzweil says the page it should be and then reads the actual scanned number. If the numbers don't match you know something is wrong and must be corrected. In addition to makeing sure all numbers are correct,this method allows you to remove any headers that were missed and finds chapter headings and you can do what ever is needed to save them. This usually takes an additional half hour, but I feel it is worth the extra time.

Jim Pardee

At 09:59 PM 4/22/2009, you wrote:

Someone once suggested using the page down key.
When I've finished proofreading a book I first do a spell-check, even thought I've actually read the book, and then I check to see that all the pages are there and correctly numbered. or a while I did this by using "find" and then putting in the numbers insequentially. This worked well but using the page down works best, I've found. While checking for page numbers I've found places where I missed Word's page breaks and corrected that by putting hard breaks. And I found places where because I got so involved in my reading I forgot to make a page break or I forgot to put the correct page number (in files where the scanner had omitted them, or I put the same page number twice

hth

Cindy

WISH LIST (CALLED REQUESTED ADDITIONS TO THE BOOKSHARE COLLECTION)IS AVAILABLE AT
www.lljfm.net/bookshare/home.htm

http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/