[bksvol-discuss] Re: quick question on validating copyright info

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:48:29 -0600

One more suggestion. . . from the heartless one.
Consider that a scanning volunteer can scan from 2 to 5 double pages per
minute, depending on scanner speed.
It takes in most cases no more than a couple of hours to do a complete
scan of even a moderately thick book.  And if 'safe Scanning Practices are
followed,  it is highly likely that even the initial raw quality will be
excellent, with less than 0.7% of words not in the dictionary.

If validating volunteers find books that are hopelessly filled with
scannos and junk characters, in the body of the text,  you may have a good
candidate for nuking/rejection.  Try a test upload of the book.  have a
look at the        quality rating assigned by the automated engine.  If
the automatic  rating is in the Fair category, and you have already
determined that the text of the book is filled with errors, rather than
containing a lot of unusual but valid words,  its time to reject the book.
It will take less time for someone to rescan the book yielding excellent
quality than it would take for you to edit/fix the bad copy.  When in
doubt,  post to the list or contact Claire.

G.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

". . . Maybe it was only those who were most certain they were right who
were guaranteed to be wrong. And that maybe, just maybe, those who
questioned the most were in the end those who came closest to being wise."
[David Poyer, The Command]

Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
01/29/2008 07:58 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: quick question on validating copyright  info

Hi Anne,

         You don't need to go online and look up copyright info
unless you think, for some reason, that what is in the book is
questionable. Poorly scanned is the most likely problem.  You just
want to make sure that the title page and copyright page are in the
book and legible.

         And you don't need to check for electronic copies of the
book anywhere else.  I'm not sure why that would need to be checked,
but it doesn't.

         Bookshare actually only requires that a few things be done
during validation: varify that all title, author, and copyright
information is present and legible in the book, all pages of the text
must be present, and at least 90% of all page breaks must be present
in the book.  However, doing just these few things can result in a
book of uncomfortably poor  reading quality being included in the
collection.  I'll list below some things that you can do to be sure
that the quality of the book that you validate is the best that it
can be.  They seem, I know, like a lot, but do make a huge difference
in the quality of the book.

Run a spell check on the book.
Make sure that chapter headings which are the first line of text on a
page have above them the page number of the book followed by a blank line.
Remove all running headers. (The Bookshare tools are supposed to do
this, but don't very well.  It is more effectively done by hand
during validation.)
Words which begin on one page and end on the next should be moved to
one page or the other.  In other words, eliminate end of page hyphens.
In the most ideal world, both page breaks and page numbers should be
surrounded by blank lines.  This means that a page should look like this:
Page break
Blank line
Page number
Blank line
Text on the page
Blank Line

If page numbers appear at the bottoms of pages you can either move
them to the tops of pages and follow the form above, which helps when
navigating to find the actual beginning of a page when using the page
number as search criteria.
For pages with page numbers at the bottom, the page would look like this:
Page break
Blank line
Text on the page
Blank line
Page number
Blank line

Pages containing chapter headings as the first line of text should
look like this:
Page break
Blank line
Page number
Blank line
Chapter heading
Blank line
Text on the page
Blank line

I know that all of that stuff seems like a lot of work.  Admittedly,
it is.  But doing those things that I have mentioned will allow the
book of best possible quality to be added to the Bookshare
collection.  About the only thing that will result in better quality
than these steps would be to add to the list, reading the book from
cover to cover.  Many of us do actually do this.  I personally don't
choose to validate books that I am unwilling to read from cover to
cover.  But that, like most of this e-mail is not a requirement for
validating a book.  It just increases the likelihood that the copy of
the book in the Bookshare collection is the most accurate copy that a
careful human can get.

Don't let all of this stuff scare you off, please.  There are lots of
people willing to help you and answer questions.  And it really is a
lot of fun, and a great source of personal satisfaction to offer to
the Bookshare collection an excellently scanned and proofread copy of a
book.

I do hope that I haven't scared you off with all of this
information.  But, you did ask.

Peace,
Mayrie