[bksvol-discuss] Re: questions about quotes

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 21:35:51 -0400

Hi all,

Shanell, you really should dig out your old high school text book and look up how to write dialogue. This should be standard fair in all English curricula, but maybe not. Here's a very brief synopsis.

Yes, when you switch speakers, you switch paragraphs. Each time the speaker in a dialogue changes, you change the paragraph so that people know who's who and who's speaking and to whom.

Now, as far as text applying to a speaker which is placed in the same paragraph as his/her speech, if the text applies to that given speech or is directly related to what the speaker is saying, then it stays in the paragraph with the speech. Here is an example.

Dan picked up his cup of coffee and paced the room. "I don't understand it!" he exclamed. "Who would want to murder Jill?"

Or:

"What are you doing, Target?" she asked. The noise continued in the kitchen and she rose reluctantly to go find out what was going on.

When she entered the kitchen, she discovered the cupboard door open and the dry catfood spilled all over the floor. "Oh, Target!" she grumbled. "You're going to be as big as a blimp!"

or:

"Sam, where have you been? It's 02:30 and you were supposed to be in by midnight," said his father. He put down the telephone receiver. "I was just about to call the police."

"Oh, Dad," said Sam. "Well, Julie and I, well, we had an accident--no, no, I didn't trash the car. I, um, well, I ran out of gas on route 59." Sam pushed back his hair from his forehead.

"You didn't think to call us," responded his father. "Where was your cell phone?"

Sam looked down sheepishly. "I left it on my dresser, Dad. If you go into my bedroom you'll see it. I wished a dozen times I had it cuz we wouldn't have had to walk two miles to the nearest gas station, and Julie's mom wouldn't have grounded her and Julie's Dad wouldn't have yelled at me for half an hour and--"

Does that help?

Ann P.