[bksvol-discuss] Re: questions about pictures and admin approval

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 09:45:23 -0500

Denise, I'm curious about this as well, so hopefully those with answers will respond to the list. What software are you suing? I was under the impression that Kurzweil and OpenBook did not keep pictures. I understand that they will keep images of the scan, but I didn't think that they kept pictures, if there were any in the book.

Melissa

Denise Thompson wrote:
Hi All

I just had a book rejected because it had pictures. I didn't know they were there of course, but according to the message I recieved, in web view they show up. I did delete some as I wentalong when it was at the top of the page or the bottom and I encountered them as I was working on headers or page numbers. I knew some objects were in the book because when I opened it each time to scan more pages, it would open in Word and say that the document has such and such number of objects. I have some questions related to all of this that perhaps some of you can help with.

I know that the last two books I've scanned and submitted were the same. They also had "objects" in them. Both of those books were approved. So that makes me wonder if the other proofers deleted the pictures or whatever the objects were before submitting for admin approval or were they just passed. Anyway that leads me to my next thought and that is why this proofer didn't delete them or maybe the proofer is totally blind like me and didn't know they were there. So is there any way for those of us who can't see where the pictures are (unless our cursor happens to fall on one) able to find the objects and get rid of them?

Also, if there are pictures there, why can't the book be saved and a daisy with pictures and them the pictures deleted and saved as a daisy without pictures. If books with the pictures are saved then a copy is made without pictures, isn't there someway the pictures are stripped in which case can that be done with the books that those of us submit who don't know the pictures are there. The suggestion by the bookshare team was for me to rescan the book with no pictures checked and resubmit. I looked through Open Book and don't see anywhere that I can check not to have pictures scan. I'm curious also because I thought when you saved a book as a text or RTF file most attributes were lost. why does it retain the pictures?

As you can see, I'm full of questions. If this is too much and you want to contact me off list, that's fine.

Denise

At 10:11 AM 10/6/2009, you wrote:
New and Recently Released!
Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd - edited by Holly Black and Cecil Castellucci
Publisher: Little, Brown
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 08/01/2009
ISBN-13: 9780316008099
ISBN-10: 0316008095
Short Stories. Geeks get a lot of guff for being so devoted to their (often admittedly obscure) interests. But, as evidenced by the popularity of the authors broadcasting their geek pride in this collection (click the Table of Contents link to check them out), geeks also write bestselling books. Now, the nerdy have their very own short-story collection in Geektastic, which delves into a variety of geekdoms from Star Trek to online gaming to The Rocky Horror Picture Show, astronomy, cosplay, Comic-Cons, and more. Alternately heart-wrenching and hilarious and interspersed with comics such as "What Your Lunch Table Status Means" and "How to Identify the Living Dead," these 15 stories will appeal to anyone with an unbridled passion.
Table of Contents
Just Another Hero - by Sharon M. Draper
Publisher: Atheneum Books
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 06/23/2009
ISBN-13: 9781416907008
ISBN-10: 1416907009
Fiction. It's senior year for the group of friends that readers met in The Battle of Jericho and November Blues, and there's a lot going on. Arielle's rich stepfather is turning out to be a controlling bully; November has returned to school after giving birth to Josh's baby; Kofi is MIT-bound but has a disturbing secret problem; Jack is acting crazy as usual; and a rash of thefts at the school has everyone on edge. But no one expects the terrifying situation that concludes this final volume in the trilogy--and someone will have to step up and be a hero. If you like realistic characters and plenty of drama, be sure
not to miss Just Another Hero.
First Chapter
The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon--and Me, Ruby Oliver - by E. Lockhart
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 07/28/2009
ISBN-13: 9780385904377
ISBN-10: 0385904371
Humorous Fiction. Lovably neurotic 16-year-old Ruby Oliver is still struggling to deal with life, boys, and panic attacks in this 3rd book to feature her (after The Boyfriend List and The Boy Book). She kind of likes her chemistry lab partner, Noel, but her friend Nora liked him first. Her ex-boyfriend Jackson is acting like he might want her back, and both college-boy Gideon and soccer-stud Finn seem to be sending romantic signals, too. On top of Ruby's troubles with boys and friends, she's been fired from her job at the zoo--and she's got a bake sale to run. Complete with quirky wordplay and chortle-worthy footnotes, this installment of Ruby's painfully hilarious saga is sure to satisfy her fans.
First Chapter
Table of Contents
So Punk Rock (and Other Ways to Disappoint Your Mother) - by Micol Ostow; illustrated by David Ostow
Publisher: Flux
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 07/01/2009
ISBN-13: 9780738714714
ISBN-10: 0738714712
Humorous Fiction. Guys in bands get dates. At least, this is Ari Abramson's theory, and it's the reason he decides to form a ska/punk band with his charming but not-so-talented best friend, Jonas, and Yossi and Reena Gluck (Yossi is the only person at their Jewish prep school who owns a drum kit, and if he joins, his sister Reena joins--that's the deal). But just as their group The Tribe is becoming popular, tensions among the members and the disapproval of Ari's demanding parents threaten to rip the band apart. Illustrated throughout with enlightening (and hilarious) comic art, So Punk Rock "drums on the
funny bone and reverberates through the heart" (Booklist).
Rebels...with a Cause
Earthgirl - by Jennifer Cowan
Publisher: Groundwood Books
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 03/24/2009
ISBN-13: 9780888998897
ISBN-10: 0888998899
Fiction. After Toronto teenager Sabine (aka "Bean") Solomon gets splattered with "McFatty meal" leftovers flung out the window of an idling minivan, she vaults off of her bicycle and gives the offending driver a piece of her mind. Bean's eco-rant against the fast-food flinger soon shows up on YouTube (a friend recorded the whole incident) and her transformation into a full-time eco-warrior begins. This debut novel includes posts from Bean's blog--with comments!--and crackles with sharp wit and romance. It also provides solid, factual information on the state of the environment as well as tips on what
readers can do to protect the planet.
Little Brother - by Cory Doctorow
Publisher: Tor Teen
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 04/29/2008
ISBN-13: 9780765319852
ISBN-10: 0765319853
Fiction. Computer hacker Marcus spends most of his time outwitting school surveillance until the day that San Francisco is bombed by terrorists--and he and his friends are arrested, taken to a secret prison, and brutally questioned for days. When they release Marcus, the authorities threaten to come for him again if he breathes a word about his ordeal; meanwhile, America has become a police state where everyone is suspect. For Marcus, the only option left is to take down the power-crazed Department of Homeland Security with an underground online revolution. The Los Angeles Times calls this scary and technologically
riveting book "pretty freaking cool."
First Chapter
Quaking - by Kathryn Erskine
Publisher: Philomel Books
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 06/21/2007
ISBN-13: 9780399247743
ISBN-10: 0399247742
Fiction. Matt (not "Matilda," and definitely not "Mattie") is a smart-mouthed Goth girl who has been shuttled from one foster home to another for years. She doesn't allow people to get close to her, since in her experience that leads to getting hurt. Now she is moving in with yet another foster family, and they are Quakers who are active in the movement against the Iraq war. Matt tends to run from her fears and problems, so she at first thinks her foster parents are crazy for confronting war supporters in their small town. But when the school bully and a fanatically pro-war teacher make a target of Matt,
she may be ready to stand up for her beliefs for the first time ever.
The Gospel According to Larry - by Janet Tashjian
Publisher: Henry Holt
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 11/01/2001
ISBN-13: 9780805063783
ISBN-10: 0805063781
Fiction. Scary-smart high school senior Josh Swensen wants to save the world--and to win the heart of his best friend, Beth. He's also got more than one bone to pick with American culture, which he sees as ridiculously materialistic and celebrity-worshipping. So, he starts an anonymous blog (calling himself "Larry"), publishes "sermons" that rail against corporations' manipulation of our lives...and becomes a celebrity whose legions of fans are determined to uncover his true identity. What's an anti-consumerist philosopher to do? Left-leaning activists, fans of realistic characters, and anyone who likes a fast-paced, provocative read will love this book and will also want to read the follow-up volumes Vote for Larry and Larry and the Meaning of Life.
First Chapter
Supernatural Romance
Thwonk - by Joan Bauer
Publisher: Speak
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 06/06/2005
ISBN-13: 9780142404294
ISBN-10: 0142404292
Humorous Romance. When lovelorn 17-year-old A.J. McCreary, a talented photographer, is assigned to snap a cover shot for the school yearbook, she stumbles upon a stuffed cupid who comes to life and offers her his assistance. Despite the otherworldly archer's admission that he never quite gets love spells right, A.J. opts for help in the romantic realm instead of asking for success in art or academics, her other choices. Soon, hunky Peter Terris, A.J.'s longtime unrequited love, can't get enough of her, which is great...right? Readers of this hilarious riff on the adage "be careful what you wish for" are
in for one fun and wacky ride through the world of high-school romance.
First Chapter
Need - by Carrie Jones
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 12/23/2008
ISBN-13: 9781599903385
ISBN-10: 1599903385
Paranormal Romance. After her stepfather dies unexpectedly, grieving, phobic Zara goes to live with her grandmother in chilly, small-town Bedford, Maine. As she begins to make friends and attract the attention of several local boys (including sexy Nick, who runs faster than any human should be able to), Zara notices something unsettling: she's being followed by a strange man who leaves a golden, glittery trail everywhere he goes. To her horror, she learns that her stalker is a pixie king...and that if he doesn't mate with a queen soon, the young men in Bedford will all be in terrible danger. Fans of Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely will definitely want to read this creepy, suspenseful, and action-packed romance. Blood and Chocolate - by Annette Curtis Klause
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 08/14/2007
ISBN-13: 9780385904346
ISBN-10: 0385904347
Horror. It's the same old story; a young girl falls in love with a boy her mother warns her against--except in this case it's because the boy is human. Self-assured, beautiful Vivian is a werewolf, and since her father died a year ago, the adolescent males in her pack (called the Five) have been in fierce competition to take his place as its leader. But Vivian blames the Five for her dad's death, and is sick of their careless endangerment of the tribe and their constant fighting. This makes her especially vulnerable to the attractions of sweet, sensitive Aiden, a "meat-boy." Can he love her if he finds out
what she really is?
First Chapter
Raven - by Allison Van Diepen
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 02/10/2009
ISBN-13: 9781416978992
ISBN-10: 1416978992
Urban Fantasy. High-school senior Nicole has been in love with Zin since the first time she saw him dance. But even though Nicole feels a connection between them--one that helps her deal with her messed-up family life--Zin seems determined to keep her at a distance. After she begins performing in Zin's break-dancing group at New York City's club Evermore, however, Nicole learns the startling truth about him: he is one of the Jiang Shi, immortals who feed on the souls of dying humans. Are the feelings that she has for Zin really strong enough to last...forever? Twilight fans who can handle something a bit grittier will appreciate the tantalizing romance in Raven, and dance aficionados will love the detailed descriptions of the dance group's moves.
Don't judge a book by its movie!
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - Brashares, Ann
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 09/01/2001
ISBN-13: 9780385729338
ISBN-10: 0385729332
As they part for the summer, four friends, Carmen, Lena, Tibby, and Bridget, embark on a journey of self-discovery when they decide to share an old pair of worn jeans that were purchased from a thrift shop and form the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.
First Chapter
Eragon - Paolini, Christopher
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 08/01/2003
ISBN-13: 9780375826689
ISBN-10: 0375826688
When fifteen-year-old Eragon comes to learn that he is a gifted Dragon Rider, he realizes that his destiny is to fight the evil powers that will bring complete destruction to the Empire and so leaves his quiet life as a farm boy to succeed in his one true mission in life, in a deluxe edition which includes a foldout map, an expanded pronunciation guide, and an excerpt from the next book in the trilogy.
First Chapter
I love you, Beth Cooper - Doyle, Larry
Publisher: Ecco
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 05/01/2007
ISBN-13: 9780061236174
ISBN-10: 0061236179
Recklessly announcing his love for the head cheerleader during his valedictorian commencement speech, Denis Cooverman is inducted into the wilder side of youth culture by the object of his affection, who turns out to be more than he bargained for. A first novel.
First Chapter
Watchmen - Moore, Alan
Publisher: DC Comics
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 11/12/2008
ISBN-13: 9781401219260
ISBN-10: 1401219268
As former members of a disbanded group of superheroes called the Crimebusters start turning up dead, the remaining members of the group try to discover
the identity of the murderer before they, too, are killed.
Coraline - Neil Gaiman and P. Craig Russel
Publisher: HarperCollins
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 07/01/2008
ISBN-13: 9780060825430
ISBN-10: 006082543X
Graphic novel edition! Looking for excitement, Coraline ventures through a mysterious door in her new home and into a world that is similar, yet disturbingly different from her own, where she must challenge a gruesome entity in order to save herself, her parents, and the souls of three others.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4484 (20091006) __________

http://www.eset.com