[bksvol-discuss] Re: questions about headers and footers

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 09:52:34 -0800

HI Monica,

Yep, you had it right on.  I have one thing to add to the request to remove
headers and footers.  If you end up with a proofreader without access to the
print book in hardcopy, very often the lack of a header on a page is the
only indicator of where a chapter number/heading should go.  So, before
removing headers, will you please make sure that all chapter titles, or
story titles in the book are present?

I'm not sure I was completely clear, so I'll explain.  In a book where, for
example, the chapters are expressed as numerals like 1 2 3 etc, those
numbers don't always scan, but those pages containing chapter titles do not
have headers on them by design of the publisher.  If you remove the headers
without making sure that all chapter titles are in place, the proofreader
won't know where to insert the chapter titles because the lack of a header
or footer on those pages containing chapter or story titles is the only
indicator that a title should have gone there.  This holds true for longer
titles as well, especially if they are in a florid font that OCR has
determined is junk and has opted to remove.  So, not only is your removal of
headers much appreciated, so is your having made sure that all chapter
titles are present in your book!  If you can't determine where chapter
titles should go yourself, I personally (and this is only my preference)
like it if you leave the headers in the book so that I can put the chapter
titles in myself when proofreading.  I am definitely in the minority on this
though.  Just saying what I find helpful.

Happy scanning!

Mayrie

  _____