[bksvol-discuss] Re: question re underlined words

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 22:32:44 -0800

It won't come out in Braille, though, I will bet. I have a few thousand pages of Bookshare Braille files by now from the old translator and from when it was upgraded and I haven't seen an italics or underline symbol - dots 4-6 anywhere. The only indication I ever got that something was italicized was when the old Braille translator used to take a new line for italicized text such as titles of books in the text, as when the book Dune is refered to in the book The Road to Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, or ship names, such as in Terry Brooks' Straken, where the names of the ships were always on separate lines as well as when people's thoughts were italicized. I have seen no such indicators of italics or underlining in any of the books done after the translator was upgraded. I am currently reading Eragon and am up to page 60. There are passages where the protagonist is thinking, and I would bet that those passages are in italics or are otherwise indicated by a change in font, or something, but no such indications are in the brf file. The same with Robert Jordans' Knife of Dreams. It seems unlikely that that 785-page book had no italics in it, but the brf file had none at all.

So now you have a better idea of some of the stuff I like to read. <grin>

Evan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxx>