[bksvol-discuss] Re: question on scanning books

  • From: "david h carter" <dhcarter1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 20:57:55 -0400

The Plustek OpticBook 3600 is a book edge scanner. It's especially designed to
scan books without breaking the book binding. You can scan one page at a time
with the page not being scanned hanging down the long side of the scanner case.
The 3600 has a standard 8.5 by 11 inch platen so it can be used like a standard
scanner as well.

Many years ago I had a Fujitsu book edge scanner and I loved it. Keeping the
page flat on the scanner bed was a piece of cake. As everyone here can tell
you, keeping a book flat on a flat bed scanner while scanning both pages
simultaneously is a pain. A few years ago, I spent hours looking for a
replacement book edge scanner. They just weren't available for quite a while
until the 3600 came out. If it works as well as my Fujitsu did, it would be a
great choice for someone wanting to scan books. Kurzweil thinks very highly of
this scanner. At present, I cut up books and scan using a document feeder-no
library books for me. But if I start going back to the library, I'm getting a
3600, and hopefully it will be as good as my old Fujitsu book edge scanner.