[bksvol-discuss] Re: question for member bookshare readers re tables of contents

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:56:05 -0800

Hi Lynn,

Page numbers will be picked up whether they are at the bottom or top of
pages.  However, on pages where chapter headings occur, it has been
recommended by Carrie that we still put the page number above the chapter
heading.  For some reason, chapter headings were still being stripped even
with the new converter, unless the page number was above them and separated
from them by a blank line.

Chapter headings need to be larger than the font of the book by four points
in order for them to be navigated as a heading in the daisy files.

Getting rid of extra blank lines is something that just makes reading by
either a braille reading, or sighted proofreader easier.  As Monica said,
bookshare's tools will remove them if the proofreader doesn't.

As for page numbers being separated from the text by a blank line, the
powers that be say that we do not need to do this.  However, because I have
encountered books with missing page numbers, or page numbers incorperated in
the text of the book, rather than being separated from it as they should be,
I have chosen, as have others, to continue separating them from the text by
a blank line, whether the page numbers appear at the top or bottom of pages.

Bold and italics are indeed preserved in bookshare's books.  And as you have
said, when chapter headings are sometimes bolded and sometimes not in a
scan, I opt to bold them.

Does that answer most of your questions?

Mayrie

  _____