[bksvol-discuss] Re: question for braille readers of rtf on braille note etc

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:18:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Lissi,

Please send Gustavo an email with the name of the book that's in such terrible
shape. He can withdraw it from the collection and put it back on the download
queue for someone (like me) to fix it up.  I can take out all the junk
characters and make a better copy of it.  I will upload it when I'm done,
Gustavo will approve it, and then you can see if it's any better afterwards.
How does that sound?  Just let Gustavo know that I have volunteered to edit it,
so he can tell me when it's on the download list.  His email address is
gustavo.g@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  Or if you'd prefer to edit it yourself, that's fine
too.

HTH, Carrie

Estelnalissi <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear Braille readers,

I've read about 8 books downloaded from Bookshare using the BRF extention.
Some glitches, but really pleasant reading.

This latest book has been so different. every 2 to 6 or so words one of the
phollowing braille symbols appears followed by two spaces. I don't recognize
these signs but they interrupt the reading continually.

I understand the primary goal is to get a clear scan for sighted readers,
but I wonder if it is possible to clean up a garbled brf file and resubmit
leaving the print files undisturbed.

Here are the symbols.

two cells dots 1, 2, 4, 6 and 1, 2, 3, 4 - it looks like the contraction ed
followed with no space by the letter p

two cells 1, 2, 4, 6 and 1, 2, and 4 - it looks like the contraction ed
followed with no space by the letter f

Many page numbers have the author's name spelled out with a letter sign and
capital before each letter and a space after occupying more than a 32 cell
line. . some letters are randomly missing and some appear before the page
number and some after.

2 series of page numbers appear. I'm guessing the lower numbered series is
from the print book. I wonder if they are all that is needed.

Some punctuation signs are spelled out.

First or last letters are missing from words, and on and on.

I'm not complaining. In my opinion for us to be provided readable books at
such a low cost, given limitless combinations of equipment being used and
much of the work done by volunteers, is nothing less than a gift that keeps
on giving. My hope is to help without distracting the overworked staff.

I'd like to learn the meaning of the edp and edf signs and to find out if I
can tidy this book especially for the next braille reader without disturbing
the excellent copy of the book in print.

Always With Love,

Lissi

http://mail.yahoo.com