[bksvol-discuss] Re: question for Spanish speakers

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 00:38:34 -0400

Dear Dilsia, Cindy Carrie and Kellie,

Thanks to all of you for helping me do justice to Willa Cather's writing and to the Spanish language. Because of you I don't need to say Estoy sola in this task.

Dilsia, when I was writing the question, I was hoping you might intercept it, but in the mean time Kellie, Cindy and Carrie filled in nicely.

A friend who moved to Cleveland from Hungary when she was 20 was shy and despairing of ever learning English. I set her up with soap operas and Harlequin romances and she was speaking English, and very dramatically, in no time. Then she noticed the National Enquirer and would let people go ahead of her in line at the grocery while her little toddler fussed impatiently. She'd call me while putting the groceries away to tell me in awe about the cow with the head of a snake, the Aliens who were disguised as McDonald's employees and the 89 year old woman who gave birth to triplets! She speaks English fluently now and has learned not to believe everything she reads. I learned some Hungarian cooking from her and one Hungarian word, Vosharoni witch means shopping!

Like Cindy I applaud your readiness and ability to learn a second language. Does sensei mean friend or teacher?

Always with love,

Lissi

"My story is finally out there in the ether, a self-sufficient organism beyond my control, changing shape in every new mind that absorbs it."
From The Night Listener, a novel by
Armistead Maupin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dilsia A. Martinez" <dilsiam@xxxxxxxxx>