[bksvol-discuss] Re: question for Cary

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 07:10:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi E,

  Where do I find books to scan? There are several hundred books lying around
the Bookshare office waiting to be processed, people send in donations, there's
a sale once a month at the Palo Alto library, and Bookshare buys the New York
Times bestsellers and a few books of general interest each month.

  I haven't scanned any books on library research, but I have submittted books
on self-employment.  One book I've had for months, that I've been cleaning up
slowly, is a book I saw for sale at CSUN.  It's called Better IEPS (donated by
a Bookshare volunteer).  Is this of interest to you (or anyone else)?  Should I
speed up my validating of it?  It has a huge number of forms, so it's taken me
a long time to go through them.

  On to more interesting topics - Bookshare has a number of erotic books
written by women, which would presumably be of interest to women.  The female
authors I can think of, off the top of my head, are Anais Nin, Nancy Friday,
and Xaviera Hollander.  I'm sure there are more, just can't think of them right
now.  One interesting book is The Olympia Reader by Maurice Girodias.  It has
41 selections from various erotic authors, so you can see which author you'd
prefer to read more of.

  There's another website at www.literotica.com that has free erotica from
amateur authors.  There are thousands of stories and the quality varies a lot,
but you can find some little gems in there.  Just noticed that they have a
number of other options available, if you check out the site index.

  Enjoy!   Carrie

"E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Cary, how do you obtain the print books you scan? I am particularly
interested in obtaining books on doing library research. Particularly, I
want to learn more about the kind of research which can be done in the
field of grant development using library resources and the internet.

I am also interested in books having to do with all aspects of
self-employment or working effectively as a consultant, a form of
self-employment. Anything on how to term papers and book thesis (theses?)
will be wonderful. You do great work.!! (If you are going to scan erotica,
let's find some women find attractive if we can shall we? grin)

E.