[bksvol-discuss] Re: question about the list of books

  • From: Mike Gorse <mgorse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 10:30:16 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Gerald,

Thanks for the advice; I'll read the tips before I go and try to validate anything. I was actually going to ask on the list about which format to submit; I submitted my books in Kurzweil format because the web site specifically said to do that, but, now that I understand how validation works, it seems that I'll usually be better off submitting RTF's in the future if there isn't any advantage (other than allowing rescans for better OCR) to submitting KES files...

-- Michael Gorse / AIM:linvortex / http://mgorse.home.dhs.org --

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Gerald Hovas wrote:

Mike,

The Download link takes you to a download page where you can look at info
about the book and decide if you wish to download it.  If you decide you
wish to download it, then you click on the Download link on that page to
download the book.

As Cindy said, there's a history of what's happened to the book from a
volunteering standpoint on the Download page.  Looking at your two books, no
one's downloaded the first since March and the second has never been
downloaded, so you might as well just get your feet wet by validating your
two books because neither has been touched since mid-March.

One way to improve your chances of getting books validated is to submit in
RTF.  Not everyone has K-1000 or OpenBook, so submitting in RTF allows
anyone to validate.  As you can see from the list, RTF is the preferred
format now.  There's a statement on the website which encourages books to be
submitted in KES or ARK and to include the images, but if books are cleaned
up properly to begin with, then there's no reason for Bookshare to need the
images because they'll never need to go back and rerun the images through
newer OCR software to get a better scan.

BTW, I encourage you to go to Jake's website and read the tips which
volunteers have posted there.  You'll find all of the Bookshare related info
under Jake's Bookshare Expansion Initiative link.

http://www.jbrownell.com/

HTH

Gerald