[bksvol-discuss] Re: question about possible incomplete book

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:16:28 -0400

Intruder in the Dust is less a mystery than a "how will they do it" story of 2
teenage boys , one black and one white,  and an 80 year old White lady try to
prove that an 80 year old (+/-) black man did not murder a younger white man
when the whole county. or at least the white members, have been hoping to make
that same black man "act like a nigger" for most of their lives.  It is the who
and why of that last clause and the why of the white boy that are the central
point on which the tale pivots and it is through his eyes that we see the
story.  It is the most accessible of Faulkners novels and yet an understanding
of it is essential to an appreciation of race relations in Faulkner's South;
and, possibly the Modern South as well.

As I am having major problems with the books I am trying to validate, and while
I have OpenBook and can scan, I may stop pulling my hair out long enough to
give it a try. Now if I understand the procedure, I should put the book on the
Wish list but as All of Faulkner's  works not already in Bookshare were in "my"
eventural wish list, I will start scanning it as soon as possible.  I have the
modern library edition but it is annotated in ink so unusable.  I wll try to
get a paperback edition but if I cannot in the next few days I will try to scan
my first printing hardback without breaking the spine. I will also send a note
to add it to the wish list if I need to will you tell me if I need to, please.

re:Punctuation.  That last "need to" is an elliptical phrase which does not
need ellipses as the "add it to the wish list" is understood. Ellipse and
ellipsis are both word referring to the omitted text and the punctuation and
ellipses is the plurral.  I am not just showing off as I had to look up the
plural and just am sharing  what I read.

Amy
an obvious omst.