[bksvol-discuss] Re: question about possible incomplete book

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:49:58 -0700

Does the book have an ISBN on it?  If so, you can check with Amazon or any
library you can access, and see how many pages it should have, then check to
see what the last page in your book is, if it has page numbers, which it should
have.  If you don't have an ISBN, check to see if it ends in a complete
sentence.  If so, then that is at least better than it ending in the middle of
one, because it tells you that it is at least more likely to be complete.  Does
it have an Afterword, or an About the Author section at the end, or an
Acknowledgements page?  That is another indication that it is probably all
there.  You could check some source you trust such as a library or a bookstore
online and see if any of the editions they have match the number of pages you
have in yours.

The apostrophes may very well be correct.  I just scanned two books with
apostrophes for all of the dialog.  So check them out and see if they surround
people talking.  If so, then they belong.

Hope some of this is helpful.