[bksvol-discuss] Re: question about possible incomplete book

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:53:44 -0400

Dear Laura ,

Many books written with British grammar use the apostrophe in place of the
opening and closing quotation marks we're used to. Cindy might be able to check
the title page for you. If that's all that is missing, you might choose to
validate that book. Hop around a few pages and see if you think the text is
accurate.

Most books I've validated or downloaded to read haven't had information from
the back cover after the end of the content. In fact, since people usually read
the back cover when they are deciding whether or not to try an unfamiliar book,
some volunteers who scan put the back cover information before the title page
and label it, back cover, in parenthesis. The parenthesis is a clue that the
words back cover are a validator's note.

We can give you tips, but you decide what you want to do. If you are really
sure the book is botched, it's fine to reject it. If you are on the fence, you
can release it. Other validators will eventually check it out and validate or
reject it.  It's up to you.

Hope that helps.

Always with love,

Lissi
"My story is finally out there in the ether, a self-sufficient organism beyond
my control, changing shape in every new mind that absorbs it."
From The Night Listener, a novel by
Armistead Maupin