[bksvol-discuss] Re: question about indicating notes in text

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 22:47:10 -0700 (PDT)

I may be repeating what someone else posted, but--you're  fine. Lots of times
asterisks are used instead of numbers for footnotes. One book I proofec
decently used both one asterisk and, for a later footnote on the same page, 2
asterisks; I've also seen a dagger used

TinyURL.com/752cyrs

>________________________________

discovered that there was a line of text followed by two blank lines and then
another line of text which did not seem to belong to the previous sentence. A
page break followed the text. I realized that the last text I saw was a note.
Oddly, it began with a quote whereas its reference further up on the page had a
* at the end of a word. After finding the sentence to which the note referred,
placed the note after it so that the page flow would not be disrupted. A blank
line was inserted before and after the note. I also replaced the quote with a
star. Was the * meant to be some type of superscript that was not scanned
correctly? Remembering the recent discussion on the list and reading the
directions regarding footnotes in the scanning and proofreading manual, I did
not put begin note and end note in brackets. Was this correct? Or do I need to
put the whole text of the note, which is bolded, in brackets?
>I am sorry for asking so many
questions, and I hope that what I have written makes sense.