[bksvol-discuss] Re: question about comments

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 07:32:20 -0400

Hi, Terra. When you see a book with the words hold for and a person's name, that book is being held for a specific volunteer to work on. This often happens when a submitter and validater agree to work together where they both have a print copy of a book or where a book may be a book someone needs for a class. You'll also see the term BSO, and that means it's a better scan of a book that's already in the collection. The word returnnew is inserted by the Bookshare system when someone has renewed a book or released it. It really doesn't mean anything in human terms. You may also see the word donedone, and that is another term inserted by the Bookshare software when a book has been processed by the Bookshare tools if someone has uploaded that book to the admin queue. You'll occasionally see this if someone uploads a book but the admin has to kick it back to step 1 for some reason. The only part of the comment history on a book that is really important are the comments from the admin, past validaters, or the submitter. The comments and name of the submitter will always be at the bottom of the list, and that's where I tend to look first. You'll also occasionally see a book where a prior validater has had the book for a year or more, and that makes for a very long list of comments. That's why I tend to go to the bottom of the list of comments and read that first. It's a shame that a book has been renewed for such a long period, but it has happened sometimes. I hope this helps.

Monica Willyard

Terra Syslo wrote:
I have a question about some of the things in the comment field on the
download page for the books. Some of them say hold and have a person's name.
Does that mean that those are only for that person to download and validate?
Also what does returnnew mean? I see that several times on a single book.

email and MSN:  tlsyslo@xxxxxxxxx
skype: tlsyslo