[bksvol-discuss] Re: question about a sentence

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 18:28:48 -0800

I recently had a case similar to this. I don't remember whether the word actually was hours, but it was a plural ending in s that had an apostrophe after it. I didn't think possessive case made sense there either. I had a copy of the book (it may have been a book I was reviewing after scanning) and by golly, the apostrophe was in the book. But the idea that this seemingly extraneous punctuation indicates a contraction for "hours of" seems more reasonable to me than possessive case. And though I can't recall the exact text for my example, I have a gut feeling it was similar.

So, I'm in favor of keeping it, but I'd rather have the book to be sure. I don't see the title in the original email. Could the originator of this thread provide the title and page number in case one of us has it?

Misha

I think the apostrophe is there because the word "of" is left out. The sentence is referring to the hours of community service. This type of question is why having a print copy of the book is so important. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>