[bksvol-discuss] Re: question about a sentence

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 22:52:59 -0500

Of course the hours could be given to it, but if it was then it would be the community service that would be made to conform to the form of a possessor, not the hours. If we speak of John's cap then we know that the cap belongs to John. If we speak of cap's John then the cap is made into the possessor and because that would not likely, depending on the rest of the context, make a lot of sense we are likely to have an error. In the case of a plural ending with an s an apostrophe is added without an additional s to make the noun into the form of a possessor. That is exactly what has been done in the case of the sentence in question and so it is likely an error just like cap's John would be.

Roger Loran Bailey

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, & the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press: