[bksvol-discuss] Re: question: Re: page breaks

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:30:21 -0500

Hi Allison,

I would definitely be in favor of just putting a comment in the long synopsis that page breaks were absent rather than ditching the books.
I've had to release a number of outstanding scans because page breaks were missing, and I refuse to be the one to reject an otherwise great scan. I have gone to the effort on a few to insert page breaks, but I find it particularly tedious. Especially, as page breaks are meaningless to me since I do most of my reading (please not another discussion on what constitutes reading) on my Book Port.
It would seem a much sounder policy to me, to let those that don't care about page breaks read the books, rather than preventing all from enjoying them for what mostly seems to be a matter of convenience and aesthetics.
I can already hear the stirrings of an argument that once they hit the Bookshare library they probably won't ever be fixed, but I also have heard that one about the fair books and that seems to be happening.

Dave

At 11:21 AM 12/10/2004, you wrote:
Can't daisy books without page breaks be read through their XML file? What about HTML? I know that the unpack tool gives an option for creating an html file of the book. Then, that file can be easily turned into other formats such as plain text, doc, or rtf. Those should be a bit more easily navigated without bage breaks I would think. Perhaps we could put an indicator on the books that do not have page breaks, rather than just rejecting them out-right. This way an individual would have notice before downloading a book.

What do you think guys?

Allison H.

----- Original Message ----- From: <mailto:guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>Guido Corona To: <mailto:bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 8:50 AM Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: question: Re: page breaks

Sorry, books without page breaks must be rejected, because from a Daisy point of view--Daisy being the primary Bookshare format-- they are virtually unnavigable.

Thanks,

Guido
Guido Dante Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: <mailto:guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  <http://www.ibm.com/able>http://www.ibm.com/able

Pam Quinn <quinns@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

12/09/2004 09:23 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: question: Re: page breaks

I wouldn't reject it. If it doesn't have page breaks, administration
will find out and decide what to do. It might be that it has. I can
tell if I use the arrow keys with window eyes because it says antsie
twelve where the page break appears. But apparently some programs
don't see them and some screen readers don't announnce them. From what
I'm hearing, I could look at a text file in notepad and see that there
were page breaks, but some people using a different editor might look
at the same text file and not see the page breaks. I know from having
used k1000 that it will tell you how many pages are in a file if you
go into properties.

Anyway, I would finish validating it and see what happens since it
doesn't sound like the issue is totally settled yet.

Pam