[bksvol-discuss] Re: question: Re: page breaks

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:36:59 -0600

I also read with the BC and K1000 and am all too familiar with the fall asleep
while reading phenomenon. But I still don't see the problem in as sserious
terms as you. The bc, for instance, has what it thinks of as page
navigation, but its notion of page does not correspond necessarily to the real
thing. You can still navigate by what it arbitrarily thinks of as pages and
find that place where you fell asleep. So the point is that you can
navigate by chunks and find the place, whether those chunks correspond to the
actual printed pages or not. If the only option were fast rewind, that would
indeed be tedious. But its not the only option.
The issue here, it seems, is that you are willing to make the text unavailable
to the people who can find ways that work for them with respect to dealing with
the text, because you'd reject all such unpaginated texts out
of hand. I'm all for some sort of notation telling people up front that this
particular book has no page breaks. But I can't see depriving people of
readable texts because the page breaks are missing.
 It seems like a wild distortion of priorities to allow for texts with garbled
passages, which nobody can make sense of, no matter their skill at navigating,
while at the same time, making an immutable standard, page
breaks, without which, a text, no matter how excellently readable, may not
enter into the collection.
Mary