[bksvol-discuss] Re: proper dealing with footnotes at the bottom of a page

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 14:18:12 -0600

Hi Rik,

I think the best way to answer is to first post something I put together for myself, drawn from the instructions Madeleine has given us over the past year, on how to handle all different sorts of ways footnotes appear in the text of a book.

So here that is:

1. If the book has footnote or endnote numbers within the text, when the book uses actual numerals to denote a footnote, you can do one of three things:

a. place a blank space between the text and the footnote number, and place an asterisk next to the number (keeping the asterisk and number in normal (size 12) font); or b. keep the number in normal (size 12) font with no asterisk and just a space between the footnote number and the text; or c. keep the number in superscript font, again putting a space between the footnote number and the text. d. place the information that is the footnote in square brackets if the number is either superscript or regular-sized font in the text (to clarify that it is not part of the text). If the proofreader adds in an asterisk next to the number, he or she should add in three asterisks after the text and before the footnote information. In this case, the footnote information does not need to be included in brackets. e. Madeleine recommends the method of leaving the number in the text (either in regular font size or superscripted) and then placing the footnote in brackets, as that is what both other in-house staff and outsourcers are instructed to do. However, we do still allow the asterisk version at this time.

2. If the book has one or two footnotes on a page and the author has inserted asterisks (or something similar and no numbers) to denote that there is a footnote, you: a. put the footnote information at the bottom of the page in square brackets. Include an asterisk (or 2 asterisks if there are two footnotes) before the footnote information (because there is no number), but no period after the asterisk. Do not add the word "footnote" in the square brackets. b. do not add in three asterisks after the text and before the footnote information.

Now, some observations on my part. grin. First, I can't imagine an author having 8 footnotes on a page that are denoted by symbols like asterisks instead of using footnote numbers. If the situation comes up, that would be a question directly of Bookshare for a new standard for us to follow.

Secondly, don't add parentheses around footnote numbers in the text. You'll get the book sent back to have them taken out again.

Third, even as a sighted reader I like the word "footnote" in front of the footnote section of a page in an electronic book. However, Bookshare has a different standard.

None of the above has made it into the current bookshare manual, yet, although it has been posted to this list over the last year and a half in various emails from Madeleine.

OK, next. The current Bookshare volunteer manual can be found at: https://www.bookshare.org/cms/get-involved/volunteer/my-volunteer-home/guide-scanning-and-proofing. The version that was the wiki is redacted, and says something about that but not in an obvious place--I think it's in the title for the browser window. I'll send you via private email an .rtf copy of the current volunteer manual that I complied a month or so ago that puts the entire manual into one document. It makes it easier to use for me, and maybe you'll find it helpful as well.

On images, here's what the current manual says: Remove all images. State: [Image Removed] or [Image: (description of the image)].

On captions, do it similarly. State: [caption: text of the caption.] using the square brackets to delineate.

Whew. If I've missed something, let me know! smile.

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>
On 3/6/2015 12:35 PM, ohio1803@xxxxx wrote:
*Boy, am I ever glad that I asked!*
*Thank you, Judy.*
*I understand that our practices at Bookshare a fluid and ever changing.*
*And I thought I should just go ahead and ask.*
*I have been meaning to get treatment of footnotes completely in my mind.*
*And as you mention, we have all been working to get a uniform practice together.* *Having been in graduate school and struggled with citations quite a bit, I remember this being a difficulty.* *So I would like to be part of the help that makes it easier for the print impaired amongst us in the academic world today and using Bookshare.*
**
*If this is the official way for footnotes, then, I will try and comply.*
*But if you will allow me, a few clarifying questions, okay?*
**
*As I understand it, then, it is believed by all that the asterisks are easily discernible for us readers, either with Braille or using speech. So we are to leave them alone and we replace the cross symbol with the asterisk and then just put a series of asterisks as they pile up. *
*IS that about correct?*
*For me, using JAWS screen reader, I hear “star.” Okay, fine. My K-1000 does not make any sound unless I have the settings to read all punctuation which is pretty annoying as a reader unless you are in this proofreading type of mind set, and not reading the content for its own sake.*
**
*To take what you tell me a bit further. Sorry to be too simple minded. But I am.* *So if say there are 8 footnotes citations on a single page. I could have 8 asterisks in a row? And then they are represented below at the bottom of the page, which is all in one single bracketed area and no word “footnote.”*
*Is that correct?*
**
*Example:*
**
*[***** This is footnote number 4.**
****** This is footnote number 5.]*
**
*and so on.*
*Aside here. *
*FYI My JAWS does NOT read all of those stars! It just says star star star for both of those citations.*
*Therefore my feeling is this may not be quite the best way to go.*
**
*Since I posted I was trying the new way with using the numeral within parentheses.* *That seemed a pretty decent way, too. But I can easily go back and fix it.* *I must say if I am reading I much prefer to have that word footnote in there.*
*Just as I like to hear the word chapter in front of a chapter’s number. *
*And the words image caption in front of a caption.*
**
*I guess I had better see what is said about those things, too.*
*If you can update me on that, I would also be appreciative.*
**
*Let me just ask another question on the footnotes, while I am thinking on it.* *What about the numbered footnote? I mean the footnote which is designated by a numeral up tight against a period?* *As described in this now outdated manual (as you describe it) it says to replace that numeral inside () parentheses?* *I had started to do that as well.* *But prior to just reading it I was leaving the number alone, as I could tell what it was when my speech would say the number, so I thought that was good.*
**
*This type of a footnote is such that can then have the citations in a later section of the book. I have scanned a number of books that had this recently.*
*If there is a section in the current manual, about this, please advise.*
*I try to use the manual, and sometimes I wonder how I do wind up at the wrong place.* *I think I was also on a wikipedia page. I think we were using that for awhile. Has it any validity for us at this time?*
**
**
*Again, thank you!*
*My apologies for such a darned long email!*
*Would somebody just love to proofread my emails? *
*Ha ha.*
**
*I think our volunteer and staff work at Bookshare is somewhat like the practice of organic gardening.* *No one is completely wrong, but we all want the rich nourishment of good healthy content.*
**
*BEst,*
*Rik J*
**