[bksvol-discuss] Re: proofed Silver Saddles

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 06:50:29 -0500

Denise,
I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I've been around horses pretty much all of my life. I don't have one at the moment, and it certainly leaves a huge hole. However, I do get to play with my sister's from time to time. I grew up with Quarter Horses, and switched to Saddlebreds when I attended William Woods University, and discovered how exciting they are. Over the last decade there has grown a small collection of Saddlebred trainers around Cave Creek, Arizona. One of my very good friends has a barn out there. I hope others enjoy this book.

Melissa

Denise Thompson wrote:
I can't remember who submitted Silver Saddle, but I proofed and checked it in last night. Boy did it bring back memories for me. I wasn't involved in the Saddlebred horse area, but I lived and breathed horses for 20 years. My choice was Missouri Foxtrotters. I had a mare for 19 years named Candy and she had 3 foals. The first Shadow I took to a John Lions clinic when she was 3 to train her to ride. He was very popular at the time and gave 4 day seminars in which folks brought an unbroke horse and learned how to break and ride them during that 4 days. I was impressed that he never batted an eye at having a totally blind person come with her horse. I took a friend with me to help me get around since it was all new territory and I had to put my energy into Shadow not worrying about basics like getting around. It went pretty well, though after I had my time in the round pen with John and was riding Shadow, I went into a near by corral to continue practicing. A dog ran out of the brush near the fence and Shadow shied, reared and then bucked when she came down. I ended up on the ground as you might imagine. Poor Shadow just stood there looking down at me as if wondering what the heck I was laying in the dirt for. Thank goodness I wasn't the only one to fall off during the seminar. Two others did as well so I didn't feel like I left an impression on John that blind people weren't able to handle the seminars. Had a mighty big bruise on my hip after that for quite a while. My mom and dad were out from MI visiting for a few weeks in the winter as they did and my poor mom was quite upset and didn't want me to go back the next day, but of course I did. By then they had given up on me listening much to reason.

I've met a couple of the trainers mentioned in the book as well. Phoenix was a real western town still even in the 80's and early 90's. I lived right in the city limits, but still had horse property. The Arabian horse industry was still huge then and I had the opportunity to meet some of the big players like Tom Chonsey and spent some time on his spread in north Scottsdale. It was kind of sad in a way to see that all pretty much go away and the big Arabian farms cut up into housing developments.

Now I just have my two miniature horses. I brought them with me to GA. They're quite happy. This is the first time in their lives being able to graze on grass. The first couple of days I had to limit them so they didn't get sick.

Well, sorry for reminiscing. That book really affected me. Made me feel very nostalgic.

Denise

At 01:24 PM 10/15/2009, you wrote:
Just finished uploading "Old Witch Rescues Halloween!" by Wende and Harry
Devlin.

Long Synopsis: Old Witch uses her magic to overcome Mr. Butterbean's edict
against Halloween.
Comments: The title page is correct with the words For Heather in italics between the two lines of the title. Please contact me at vlmaples@bellsouth if you have any questions. This is a library book we will return within a
week. should be an easy proof!

Take care!
Valerie

Currently scanning "Don't You Wish" by Robin Jones Gunn/ the Sierra Jensen
Series
Currently proofing: Angel Pawprints by Laurel e. Hunt
Imprisoned In The Golden City (Trailblazer Books #8) by Neta & Dave Jackson
Broken Dishes (Benni Harper, Book 11) by Earlene Fowler
Ten Days To Self-Esteem