[bksvol-discuss] Re: prohibiting kes and arc formats

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:32:38 -0600

Diane,

The staff stated last August that RTF is now the preferred format.  They
just haven't gotten around to updating the website yet.  I'm pasting the
message which states it below.

Gerald

Dear Bookshare.org Volunteers:

 The Bookshare.org staff, with the support of OUR VOLUNTEER technical
advisers, has decided to make some changes to the range of book formats that
the system will accept.  We realize that these changes may impact the ways
in which some of you work on books, but given the feedback we've had from
members, schools and other organizations, we feel that these changes will
bring significant benefits to all in the Bookshare.org community.

Starting on Friday, September 29, books may be placed into the system for
validation and submission in the following formats:

-- RTF
-- Microsoft Word
-- KES (Kurzweil)
-- Ark (Open Book)
--  WynWizard (Wyn)

These file formats permit the back-end processing tools to obtain and retain
as much structure as possible, including items like page numbers. ASCII
(plain text) files require some arduous work-arounds both on the part of
volunteers and on the back-end of the processing system.    HTML and DAISY
offer markup, but because they can be created in so many different ways,
users are served best when we generate these files for Bookshare.org
customers using internal tools.

Books already in the various queues will be processed as normal.  Again,
this change will be effective as of Friday, September 29, 2006.

As most of you know, Rich text Format (RTF) is the preferred file format for
book submission to Bookshare.org.  RTF  enables us to produce the most
consistent content output.  This file format may be generated by using the
"save as" feature in most word processors, and it is a file format that is
available on all computer platforms.

We regret any inconvenience these policy changes may cause you.  The
Bookshare.org team and many on the Bookshare.org lists are ready to assist
you in finding the best ways to support consistent file editing.  We do
recognize that many of you prefer not to edit on your computers, but we
believe most note-takers offer you the ability to edit in one of the file
formats listed above.

Our goal is to provide a more consistent, quality reading experience for you
and for the other members (almost 5,000) of the Bookshare.org community.

We appreciate your continued commitment to Bookshare.org.

Sincerely

John Glass
Customer Support Manager, Bookshare