[bksvol-discuss] Re: problem noted across books and proofers and software engines

  • From: "EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 07:01:29 -0500

Hi Valerie,

You're right that the quote space quote instance of this is easy to identify and fix. My experience with K1000 is that it is very good at recognizing new paragraphs overall. I believe it uses indentation relative to the line above as a cue to create new paragraphs, so if the book contains one-line paragraphs, these can be merged with the following paragraph. There's no good way for those without sight enough to see the print to know for certain if this merging is occurring. If I'm suspicious, or--since I know this can happen--I can check with my Optacon to see if short paragraphs are being merged; but for most people with little or no vision, this is not an option.

Don't recall seeing the split paragraph issue.

Having said that, I would only add that 88 instances in a 257-page book does not sound "fairly common" to me. A book that size may hav a thousand paragraphs, perhaps a lot more; so fewer than 10 percent--perhaps a lot fewer--are being merged. Or, to put it another way, that's one instance in just short of an average of every three pages.

Evan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Valerie Maples" <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>