[bksvol-discuss] Re: pre-marking RTF files

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 08:01:10 -0400

Hi,
I'm all for this. I would do it. Of course, I'm going to ask that it be
able to tell lines of poetry. Perhaps something like Markdown could be
used. That is a very simple scheme. We could agree upon or be told  a
convention to use. Here's information about Markdown.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown

Jim

James D Homme, Usability Engineering, Highmark Inc.,
james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"The difference between those who get what they wish for and those who
don't is action. Therefore, every action you take is a complete
success,regardless of the results." -- Jerrold Mundis
Highmark internal only: For usability and accessibility:
http://highwire.highmark.com/sites/iwov/hwt093/

             "Carrie Karnos"
             <ckarnos@xxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  "Bookshare Vol Group"
             bksvol-discuss-bo         <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             unce@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                          cc
                                                                   Subject
                                       [bksvol-discuss] pre-marking RTF
             09/09/2008 03:10          files
             AM

             Please respond to
             bksvol-discuss@fr
                eelists.org

Hi gang,

Okay, here's the situation. In the future, Bookshare wants to add markers
to RTF files, to pre-mark various parts of books. There would be markers
that mean "this is the start of a chapter", "this is a picture caption",
"this is an appendix", that sort of thing. Naturally we're wondering if
volunteers could add in these markers to their books. {There are markers in
MS Word, like Heading 1, Heading 2, that could be used, except that not
everyone uses MS Word, and it's a bit confusing to use them anyway.) The
markers in the RTF files would be used to generate DAISY markers, thus
enabling better navigation of DAISY books.
So the big question to everyone is: is there a markup scheme that everyone
would be willing to put into their RTF files?  If Bookshare said that 4
colons in a row means "this is the start of a chapter", how many people
would actually add 4 colons at the start of each chapter?
It would be great if Bookshare could look at a book and figure out where
the front matter starts and stops, where the text starts and stops, where
the chapters, figures, tables, indices, bibiliographies, etc all start and
stop, but it's actually a very difficult process. So we're hoping that if
we can get even a few volunteers to add markers to their files, it would
make life that much easier.
As you can tell, I'm just sending a flag up a flagpole and seeing if anyone
salutes. What does everyone think of adding markers to RTF files?

Thanks for your many and varied opinions!  Carrie