[bksvol-discuss] Re: points of navigation followed by three asterisks

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 19:54:02 -0500

I don't think you have quite got it yet. You do not add the asterisks when there is a passage of time or a change of scene. You add asterisks when there is a blank line that you want to be retained. It so happens that when such a blank line is inserted by the author it is usually done when there is a passage of time or a change of scene, but that is not necessarily the case. I have seen changes of scene when there is no blank line. If this is jolting to you as a reader then the jolt may be exactly what the author intended. But, again, the three asterisks replace a blank line, not a change of scene or a passage of time.

On 11/20/2012 3:53 PM, Dornetta wrote:
OK  guys;
I think that this asterisk thing is getting clearer for me. Since Madeleine
has that we must keep with consistency throughout the book, adding the
asterisk after chapter headings seems to be "up to the proofer" but we Must
(all caps) add asterisk when there is a change of scenes or the passing of
time--got it...now...
* * *
The book I am working on right now has chapter headings which are followed
by some description or text. For example:
Chapter 1
  Trey
"All goods things must end"
In this case, does asterisk belong in between the chapter headings? Or can I
assume that adding the blank lines between each chapter headings (which
appears on their own line) would make the reading flow? (providing that the
converter does strip out the blank lines, then the chapter headings would
just be read just as I just type them without the star, star, star)
Netta