[bksvol-discuss] plustek's autoreader

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookshare volunteer list" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 08:04:30 -0700

Folks:

Just FYI, I recently contacted Plustek regarding some stuff on their website &
actually received a reply back from one Erich Huang.  He states in part:

Actually we are working on a solution especially for visual impaired people,
which is the bookscanner implemented with TTS, resulting a "reading
machine".

Please refer to....

http://www.plustek.com/bat/

They have some videos up there u can look at if u have broadband or download,
if, like myself, u have dialup.  1 of these videos actually had the program
reading in Chinese, so, while this may not be something most of us would b
interested in, simply because we have the software we need already, it may b
something others could use--dunno.  Please note that the quote above is exact.
They are based in Taiwan, & I'm sure English is a 2nd language.  That is not 2
b taken as being condescending--I admire any1 who is willing 2 undertake the
learning of any language.  HTH.
Jackie McBride