[bksvol-discuss] Re: please use spell checker validators and submitters

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 01:36:54 -0500

I know that if the screen reader is set up correctly, it will catch two sentences run together after the period of the first sentence. I also know some validators have the screen reader read the book and if it sounds correct they assume it is. This last validate was approved by somebody who apparently made that choice. The results were not good. A spell checker would have caught the errors. Something has to catch them unless we want books validated this way to end up in the collection.

E.
At 01:09 AM 12/4/2007, you wrote:
E and others,

Just a bit of info here, to clarify what a screen reader can do. Any screen reader should catch a sentence where a period is immediately followed by another character, instead of a space. The only situation where this wouldn't apply is if the person chooses the none option for their punctuation announcement. If you set your punctuation to anything above none, run together words connected by periods and many other punctuation marks will clearly be announced during reading. For example, I'm using JAWS and my punctuation level is set to some, and I can hear an oddity in the layout of your sample line, whether I'm reading it using line by line commands, say all, or pretty much any other method..

Scott