[bksvol-discuss] Re: please remember

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:30:29 -0400

Shelley and Jim, I agree with you that we have great access to books. By attempting to resolve problems, I do not discount what has already been achieved. The thing that concerns me is that since we don't know what the problems are, we can't take steps to fix them. Because of how things seem on the outside, we really don't know the size, scope, or nature of the internal problems. I don't want to wake up 3 years down the road to see a notice saying that the Bookshare service has failed due to problems that could have been solved. I had this happen to me with another service I was part of, and I want to prevent that from happening here. Pratik is right that Bookshare is not required to share their plans or priorities with us. Required implies force and legal issues to me. In the absence of tangible information, there is a void that can give root to doubts and concerns over time. Is that right? Probably not. Is it human? I would say yes. People often fill in gaps in information with explanations of what they can detect with their own five senses. Whether we voice those concerns or keep them to ourselves, they are present and impact our conduct in the community. Bookshare, both its staff and members, have built something awesome and worthwhile. I don't want to diminish that in any way. What I do want is to know if the ground we're on is fairly solid or if it's shaky or made of sand that could wash away with even a tiny amount of rain. I also want to know what activity on my part is the most important in safeguarding Bookshare's future.

Monica Willyard

At Monday 10/23/2006 11:01 PM, you wrote:
here here Jim, smile.

And I have seen improvements over those four years too, smile.

Actually as a member of a National Board, in my case at GDB, it is quite
true, what goes on "internally" is not at all what goes on externally.  And
what is projected through literature externally.

I do hope Gustavo is feeling good, and not sick in any way.

smile.

Same could be said for the blindness professions as Pratik has already
eluded to.  what a consumer sees as a lack of interest in their case may be
in reality a lack of funding, lack of personnel, lack of transportation, or
usually a combination of all three, smile.

Shelley L. Rhodes B.S. Ed, CTVI and Judson, guiding golden