[bksvol-discuss] Re: please more submits so I can proof read

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:47:44 -0400

Hi all,

Hmmm, I think rather than naming names, the better idea would be to ask Pavi if
she could please speak with these particular volunteers and impress upon them
that proofing is *not* a twenty-minute job.  If it were, I would have submitted
the book I'm doing now a week ago.  As it is, this book requires removal of
headers, replacement of page numbers at the top of the pages, and may require a
sighted volunteer to look at the pages.  I have also discovered that this book,
even though I have changed the paper size to Legal, has a huge number of soft
page breaks which have to be removed.  This is a tedious process.  If she could
impress upon them that these things need to be done to these books, they will
become better proofreaders.  The most important thing is to reiterate that the
*only* way to be sure that a book you are proofing is as free from errors as
possible is to read it, yes, read every page, every word.  That, IMO is the
best way to get the best quality for Bookshare.

Now, I understand that people have selfish reasons for volunteering, namely
racking up credit against their membership fee.  However, here's a nice little
statistic for you.  There are three hundred and sixty-five days in a year,
except for leap Year.  You have to contribute twenty books in order to pay for
your membership.  So, if you divide three hundred and sixty-five by twenty, you
get eighteen and a bit.  That's eighteen days, folks, eighteen days per book.
that is almost three weeks, folks.  There is absolutely no, good, reason, for
proofing a book in twenty minutes, none at all.  Some children's books may take
a day.  Some reference books may take six weeks.  Most books should take two to
three days at least!  I repeat, there is absolutely no reason for twenty-minute
proofing!  You've got lots of time, lots of it, if you space out your books and
you're careful about what you're doing.  So, I'd recommend that instead of
naming names, Pavi be asked to speak to these folks and tell them how it is.
Tell them we're absolutely willing to help them when they need it and to work
with them to improve their work.  We don't want to lose them.  All we want is
for them to improve what they are doing so that everyone benefits, not just the
proofer or scanner who gets the $2.50.  You're doing this so that others can
read these books.  If they can't read the books, then all your work is for
nothing.

Ann P.

--
AAnn K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."  JRRT