[bksvol-discuss] Re: plays

  • From: Lisa Friendly <lisaf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:53:19 -0700

I certainly hope they do have to get permission like us. It's something I'd
like to get more info on sometime. I don't know the reason for the exception
on dramatic works except that I'm sure it made passing the Chafee amendment
easier at the time.

In the meantime, the situation is exactly as Carrie described.

I do have a suggestion if someone really needs the book in the Bookshare
collection (e.g., the audio recording in the regular library won't cut it):

Jim has let me know however, that the publisher of a dramatic work can grant
us an exemption as someone mentioned. So if there's a play that someone
badly wants in the collection, I think it pays to write an email to the
publisher along the lines of:

Hello,

I am a member of Bookshare.org, the world's largest digital collection of
books for blind and print-disabled <in case they don't know what print
disabled means>. The books in the Bookshare collection (www.bookshare.org)
are made available to us through an exemption in the copyright law known as
the Chafee Amendment, with which you may be familiar.

The Chafee Amendment excludes the right for Bookshare and other
organizations like it to include dramatic works in the without explicit
permission from the publisher for us to scan the book and add it to
collection.

I would like to add the work <title, author, publisher, year, etc.) because
<I am a student, I am a teacher, I have a passion for ... you fill in
here....>

If you would be willing to allow me to include this work in the Bookshare
collection by scanning it in page by page, please reply to this email with
the following:

"As publisher's representative of the dramatic work <title, author, etc.> I
give permission for Bookshare.org to add a copy of this work to their
collection for blind and print disabled individuals. I understand that
Bookshare.org has a very strict digital rights management program including
watermarking and digital fingerprinting which prevent this copy from being
distributed to anyone outside of Bookshare."

It's worth a try if you can't get the work anywhere else, like on an audio
recording. You'll have to do a little legwork to figure out where to send
the mail and we don't have the resources in house to assist you with that
part.

Lisa