[bksvol-discuss] plan to submit -- Jolson: Legend Comes to Life

  • From: <ohio1803@xxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 17:09:54 -0700

Hello Booksharians.

I have been off the list for a spell.
But I'm still a scanner and submitter of books.

I have proofed a few, but mostly just scan what I can and submit them.

I have recently scanned a book which I purchased used, which I think is out of
print.
At least my attempts to find it were unsuccessful at the time I wished to read
it.

It is a 1988 biography of entertainer Al Jolson.
Jolson: The Legend Comes to Life
by Herbert G. Goldman

I have been working on it quite awhile, as I have been reading and correcting
scanos as I go, being very particular that the many dates and so on are correct.

It is a fascinating story, that tells not only much about the entertainer but
really a pretty unique history of the development of entertainment in US, from
vaudeville, to live theatre, radio, and film. There are a few books in our
Bookshare collection that give some biographical information about "Jolie." But
this may be of interest to others who may wish to know about him, also.

So if someone wants to have this book to proofread, tell me what you want me to
do, and I'll do it, before submitting it.
Do you still do that thing where you put “Hold for” in the filename if a
particular individuals wants to proofread a book?

It may be a week or so before I can submit it, so there is no hurry. I am doing
the project as fill-in between other things.

Thank you all for the great work that you other volunteers and Bookshare have
been doing over these years.
This whole new business of image description and so on, it sounds quite
fascinating.

I wonder, if someone knows.
Are we anywhere near where a book may be submitted with all the Daisy
navigation? Or is it still just Rich Text Format.
As I have proceeded with this book project, I have placed the level 1 and 2
bookmarks (In K-1000, .kes called multi-level bookmarks)?
And are other changes in Font Size, and bolding, still desired when we submit
the book in RTF?
I have moved all page numbers to top of each page with blank line above and
below it, as before.
If there is a link to this instruction detail for volunteers, if it is
convenient, please put the URL in an email to me.

Thanks.
And Seasons Greetings!

Richard (Rik) James