[bksvol-discuss] Re: photo captions and punctuation in braille translation

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 23:29:41 -0400

Dear Elizabeth,

You are right that the left and right brace and greater and less than signs are translated in to words in braille which makes them jarring and cumbersome to readers. After checking books in the collection in which the left and right brackets were used, we can tell you confidently they are translated correctly. The left bracket is the parenthesis sign with dot 6 before it. The right bracket is the parenthesis sign with dot 3 after it.

We prefer not to use parentheses to denote picture captions, descriptions and notes to readers because parentheses appear frequently in the body of books as punctuation.

Evan and Lissi