[bksvol-discuss] Re: perhaps some rethinking might b in order?

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 14:42:53 -0700

Yall:

I am unable 2 afford the nice programs like OpenBook &
Kurzweil--sorry.  I bought a copy of omnipage 14 just b4 they went 2
15 4 $75 cuz they were dc ing it.  Its text editor sucks.  I did have
it in facing pages mode but that seems to be more for scanning than 4
inserting the page breaks.  I saved it 2 rtf when finished.  I knew
the breaks were messed up--but that was b4 the manual came out & I
guess I was hopin' 2 get away w/that imperfection.  So much 4 that--o,
well.

I scanned this book b4 we moved.  It's somewhere, as I am wont 2 say,
"in a frickin box."  I think I'm gonna just blow this off till after I
get back from my daughter's memorial service on the 22nd.

On 8/15/07, Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, Jackie.  I can see why you would feel frustrated with this
> situation.  I would feel that way too.  I would like to mention a
> couple of things that might shed some light on the issue.  I want to
> help you if I can.
>
> First, scanning paperbacks in two-page mode is something I do
> often.  I know that Kurzweil, FineReader, and Openbook all support
> this but do not have it as their default setting.  I'm using Kurzweil
> 11, and I have it set to recognize 2 pages per scan.  It does insert
> page breaks correctly in this mode.  Openbook seems to be reliable
> with page breaks as well.  I wonder if you might have accidentally
> scanned your paperback with one page per scan turned on.  It's easy
> to do that since that's the setting OCR programs default to.  I
> changed that setting and then saved it to my default settings in Kurzweil.
>
> Second, your validater does have the option to insert page breaks if
> page numbers are present in the book.  This is something validaters
> can do but are not required to do.  Your validater may not have known
> this or may not have chosen to do this.  Sometimes when books lack
> some page breaks, a validater will release the book to step 1 so that
> a sighted volunteer can insert page breaks.  Again, this is
> optional.  If your book is fairly short, I would be willing to
> validate it and insert page breaks if there are page numbers or
> headings that would show me where to insert the breaks.  I would feel
> overwhelmed if your book is one of those that's 500 pages or more
> just because of its size.
>
> Finally, if you have your original scan, you can use the page numbers
> and headings to guide you in inserting page breaks.  Control enter
> will insert a new page break in both Kurzweil and Microsoft Word.  I
> don't remember if that keystroke works in Openbook.  Once your page
> breaks are in place, you can submit your book again and will likely
> see it validated and approved quickly since people on this list are
> aware of your situation.
>
> Jackie, I'm sorry you've had a book rejected.  I hope what I've said
> here can help you in some way.
>

> Monica Willyard, rhyami@xxxxxxxxx

Jackie McBride
Check out my homepage at: