[bksvol-discuss] Re: perhaps some rethinking might b in order?

  • From: "Cindy Ray" <cindyray@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 16:37:10 -0500

Ctrl. Enter does work in OpenBook.

Cindy Lou

----- Original Message -----
From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 4:30 PM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: perhaps some rethinking might b in
order?

Hi, Jackie.  I can see why you would feel frustrated with this
situation.  I would feel that way too.  I would like to mention a
couple of things that might shed some light on the issue.  I want to
help you if I can.

First, scanning paperbacks in two-page mode is something I do
often.  I know that Kurzweil, FineReader, and Openbook all support
this but do not have it as their default setting.  I'm using Kurzweil
11, and I have it set to recognize 2 pages per scan.  It does insert
page breaks correctly in this mode.  Openbook seems to be reliable
with page breaks as well.  I wonder if you might have accidentally
scanned your paperback with one page per scan turned on.  It's easy
to do that since that's the setting OCR programs default to.  I
changed that setting and then saved it to my default settings in
Kurzweil.

Second, your validater does have the option to insert page breaks if
page numbers are present in the book.  This is something validaters
can do but are not required to do.  Your validater may not have known
this or may not have chosen to do this.  Sometimes when books lack
some page breaks, a validater will release the book to step 1 so that
a sighted volunteer can insert page breaks.  Again, this is
optional.  If your book is fairly short, I would be willing to
validate it and insert page breaks if there are page numbers or
headings that would show me where to insert the breaks.  I would feel
overwhelmed if your book is one of those that's 500 pages or more
just because of its size.

Finally, if you have your original scan, you can use the page numbers
and headings to guide you in inserting page breaks.  Control enter
will insert a new page break in both Kurzweil and Microsoft Word.  I
don't remember if that keystroke works in Openbook.  Once your page
breaks are in place, you can submit your book again and will likely
see it validated and approved quickly since people on this list are
aware of your situation.

Jackie, I'm sorry you've had a book rejected.  I hope what I've said
here can help you in some way.

Monica Willyard, rhyami@xxxxxxxxx

subject line.

http://www.eset.com