[bksvol-discuss] Re: paragraphs for validators, general question

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 12:51:49 -0800 (PST)

Well, a long time ago I asked here on the list, and
the majority of people who responded said that books
were easier to read if there were line spaces between
paragraphs, so I try to do that. If I can't because
the text won't fit on the book's page, I indent
paragraphs.  Sometimes I receive the download with
spaces between the paragraphs, as with the book I'm
validating now.  Also, I'm told there are people with
disabilities other than sight who read the books and
they'd like to see the books with some indication of
paragraphs.
    As far as the line length goes, I sometimes try to
make them the same length as in the book by adjusting
the margins, and that works in some books, depending
on how many lines there are to a page, but the book's
font is different from the computer font, and not all
lines will end with the same word as in the book,
especially since we close up hyphenated words that
aren't normally hyphenated. Finally, sometimes in
order to make the page length correct, I sometimes
shorten the side margins.  Different editions of an
author's work, such as paperbacks and and LT editions,
don't have the same exact formatting as the original
(although occasionally they do) and so I didn't think
that was verboten.
   If I should do things differently, I hope someone
will tell me. I'm not quite sure what you mean by not
formatting. If you don't italicize or indent
medium-to-large quoted sections, when the book does,
then you re changing the book itself, more than merely
lengthening lines. Lengthening lines does, I agree,
change what the publisher has done to the original
book, but not doing other formatting changes what the
author intended.

Cindy