[bksvol-discuss] Re: page numbers and real priorities

  • From: "EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:47:24 -0500

I believe you are right on this score.

Unfortunately, from books that I have read, it appears that before the braille translator was upgraded in I believe 2006, before I arrived, the print page numbers were removed and braille page numbers were put in their place. So there were a lot more pages in the file than there were in the original print book. After the upgrade, it appears that this is no longer the case. From the books I have checked that I either submitted or validated, and from some others that I checked by other means, the brf versions can have accurate page numbering if the page breaks are there.

I do not know why Dr. Cross is having a problem with Third Reich, but it has lots of page numbers and at least as far as the first three chapters, they do correspond to those in the Table of Contents. Actually, I can say that they correspond accurately up to at least page 631, because the line of dashes with the number 631 after it is just above the number 631, which is at the top of that page where Bob said the page numbers were located. So before deciding that the Bookshare processing tools are at fault, it would be a good idea to make sure that the problem is not related to how people are reading the files. Although, at the moment I have no idea how it could happen that the brf file would have accurate page numbers on one device and not on another.

Evan