[bksvol-discuss] Re: page breaks

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 22:05:44 -0500

It's hard for me to remember where i have seen them. I saw incorrect tagging of pages in Angelmass and Icarus Hunt both by Timothy Zahn. I think that was probably caused by the format of the original file and was no fault of the bookshare system. The page breaks sure weren't in the right places in Icarus Hunt. You can see that Kurzweil's bookmarking feature works fine from looking at them. I noticed correct bookmarking in Immortal Coil, which was a Star Trek book I submitted. I was happy to see that it also still had chapter titles. Yea! I know I have seen them in others. I would suggest doing a search for books of Excellent quality with the advanced search. Have them ordered by the date they entered the collection. Books that are farely recent don't seem to work properly in Kurzweil, so don't try them. Unfortunately I don't know at what point this started to happen. I also wouldn't try books that were sumbitted right at the beginning of bookshare's existence because people probably didn't really have the whole process together, and so those books aren't as likely to have been formatted in a way to allow for page number capture.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Pietruk" <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>