[bksvol-discuss] Re: page break question

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 21:03:37 -0500

The only other thing I can think of that might cause a page to be too long
would be if the OCR broke some of the paragraphs into two paragraphs.  I
usually remove the white space before and after Paragraph Markers using the
Find and Replace since the books I've been seeing have a blank line between
paragraphs instead of indenting the first line, then do a search for letters
followed immediately by a Paragraph Marker.  Usually this indicates that a
paragraph was mangled by the OCR software and needs to be put back together.
Another possible indication that a paragraph has been mangled is a comma
immediately before a Paragraph Marker, but that isn't as good an indicator
since writers often include correspondence in the text and a commad at the
end of a paragraph is normal then.

Increasing the page length should compensate for broken paragraphs, though.

Oh, I've sometimes found that the white space like the white space on a
blank line has a larger font size which causes the page to be larger than it
is supposed to be.  I think the first book I validated had three blank lines
at the bottom of every page where the font size was something like 1367.  I
didn't even know font sizes that large were supported.  I don't know if
those pages would have fit on a legal size page.

Gerald