[bksvol-discuss] Re: outsourcers beat me to it

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 18:36:09 -0700 (PDT)

Good idea, Roger

list available at sites below

Books Being Scanned List:

--- On Tue, 8/25/09, Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx <Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx <Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: outsourcers beat me to it
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, August 25, 2009, 10:02 AM

My situation is not quite the same as yours, but I have recently had some
experience with being beaten to books by the outsourcers too. In my case there
were two books in a row that I ordered with the intention of scanning and right
after I got them they appeared in the collection as having been contributed by
an outsourcer. I understand that Pavi is working on a method for us to check on
what the outsourcers are doing, but since that is not in place yet the last
book I ordered was only ordered after I asked Carrie to check for me. There is
something encouraging about this trend though. For a very long time the NLS has
encouraged patrons to go through certain channels to suggest material for them
to record. I always did think their channels were a rather inefficient way to
gauge the preferences of their patrons, but for some years I diligently
followed the procedure and as far as I can tell my efforts had no effect at
all. Now, here at Bookshare Carrie
 put out a call for us to suggest areas of literature in which

Bookshare was deficient. As a matter of fact, it was deficient in an area of
special interest to me so I spoke up. Well, lately as I skim through the lists
of newly added books I am seeing more and more books that are exactly what I
had in mind and others that if they are not exactly what I had in mind at least
conform to the way I worded my suggestions. That includes the books the
outsourcers beat me to, so even though I wasted a bit of money I feel
encouraged that I am actually being listened to here. I do look forward to
whatever method of determining what the outsourcers are working on that might
be coming up, but in the meantime I now intend to ask Carrie or Pavi before I
order another book.

                                                                  "Can a nation
be free if it oppresses other nations? It cannot." Vladimir Lenin

http://www.pathfinderpress.com

                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows

Subj:

[bksvol-discuss] outsourcers beat me to it

8/25/2009 3:52:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time

thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent from the Internet

(Details)

table end

Bookshare gave Nicholas Cooke to a outsourcer even though the book is

on the check in page with "hold for e" on it. Therefore the book in

the collection is not my validate.

I had worked on about 200 pages of it before I had to stop to do

something else. Apparently bookshare decided that I had not taken the

book back fast enough and so gave it to an outsourcer. Hope the

outsourcer did a good job. Sorry I did proof 200 pages. From now on,

I will do my best to proof everything I take, take less to proof if I

think I may be busy with paid work and stay out of the way of the outsourcers.

I ddo wish bookshare would give outsourcers something which is not

already on the check in books page to work on. A submitter worked

hard on my copy and I worked hard on proofing what I did. We both

wasted out time. Bookshare seems not to care if volunteers waste our

time in this particular way. Surely there are enough books in the

universe so the outsourcers can work on something not already on the

check in books page!!

disgusted,

Elizabeth