[bksvol-discuss] Re: ot message to Amy

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 12:51:25 -0400

K1000 has better validation tools, namely rank spelling, compared with Open Book. Let's speak off list and brain storm about how to get you a Kurzweil 1000.

E.
who thinks we can re-approach the Lions Club and get them to say "yes"
At 12:33 PM 8/20/2006, you wrote:

 E:

Thanks for the welcome.

I have been a volunteer for a few months now but had not been adding my two cents very often until recently. I tend to be up late as I don't sleep well at night (the humidity in Florida goes up almost every night) and end up falling asleep during primetime tv so that leaves some time for reading and/or scanning or validating but I have only been doing much of that for almost 2 months as I had no scanning program until the K1000 demo. I just got the OpenBook demo but have not quite figured it out and have a book I very much want to validate preferably with it. I am not only new to the list but only 2 years into computers with no courses to help. Be careful asking me questions as I live alone and get to see/talk with few people so have lots of communicating stored in my brain with little outlet until this list and a few email family (who have heard it all before). I stopped reading Hugo to scan and validate two books and am waiting to continue the second. I ran out of Kes. time.

Writing is something I know. I taught freshman comp both courses as well as tech writing (*ugh) and some creative writing - not that that can be taught, only edited. And I don't trust editors (Malcolm Cowley, Faulkner's editor is one reason why). Reading any Viking Portable or the Scribner equivalent and you will understand the good and the bad (Cowley is both). Thank heavens for Christopher Tolkien. He was the best editor his father ever had. If you don't believe me look at the Lost Tales and The Silmarillion.

Amy