[bksvol-discuss] Re: ot message to Amy

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 12:33:51 -0400

 E:

Thanks for the welcome.

I have been a volunteer for a few months now but had not been adding my two
cents very often until recently. I tend to be up late as I don't sleep well at
night (the humidity in Florida goes up almost every night) and end up falling
asleep during primetime tv so that leaves some time for reading and/or scanning
or validating but I have only been doing much of that for almost 2 months as I
had no scanning program until the K1000 demo.  I just got the OpenBook demo but
have not quite figured it out and have a book I very much want to validate
preferably with it.  I am not only new to the list but only 2 years into
computers with no courses to help.   Be careful asking me questions as I live
alone and get to see/talk with few people so have lots of communicating stored
in my brain with little outlet until this list and a few email family (who have
heard it all before). I stopped reading Hugo to scan and validate  two books
and am waiting to continue the second.  I ran out of Kes. time.

Writing is something I know. I taught freshman comp both courses as well as
tech writing (*ugh) and some creative writing - not that that can be taught,
only edited.  And I don't trust editors (Malcolm Cowley,  Faulkner's editor is
one reason why).  Reading any Viking Portable or the Scribner equivalent and
you will understand the good and the bad (Cowley is both).  Thank heavens for
Christopher Tolkien.  He was the best editor his father ever had. If you don't
believe me look at the Lost Tales and The Silmarillion.

Amy