[bksvol-discuss] Re: ot grape sugar testing

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 21:23:42 -0500

Quite true.

I know for my aunt and uncle's vineyard, the percentage of sugar in the grapes determines the sale price to companies such as Welches. The reason that Welches can claim that they never add sugar to their juices is they don't, but they purchase grapes with a high sugar percentage. One year the percentage was up to 20% and let me tell you those were some sweet grapes. Smile. They grow Niagra and Concord grapes. Welches won't buy any grapes that test below 15% sugar.

On a bad year, with lots of rain the sugar might be at about 10% which would require a lot of sugar.

Shelley L. Rhodes, M.A., VRT
And Guinevere: Golden Lady Guide Dog
guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs for the Blind
Alumni Association
www.guidedogs.com

The people who burned witches at the stake never for one moment thought of their act as violence;
rather they thought of it as an act of divinely mandated righteousness.
The same can be said of most of the violence we humans have ever committed. -Gil Bailie, author and lecturer (b. 1944)