[bksvol-discuss] Re: ot effod needs to be invented

  • From: "liz halperin" <lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 18:19:28 -0800

Filo, phyllo, philo: all 3 spellings are correct here. It's like Yiddish:
many variations accepted of the foreign language's phonetic spelling.  My
mom tells stories of my bubbeleh's (sweet grandma's) home made strudel,
(shtrudel as they said it, German style) with homemade filo dough, spread
over the huge dining room table in paper thin sheets. My mom learned to make
my best friend's (Greek Orthodox 2nd generation) grandma's (yia-yia's)
tiropita, using pre-made filo and the cheeses mixture into tiny folded
triangles. Hey, I made that too, about 20 years ago, I had forgotten. Pretty
darn good, too.

Anyone notice I'm only joining on the food thread? Grin. Need to get out a
handful of dog related emails, then will be back to actual scanning, I hope
tomorrow.

Liz & Aziza

Liz Halperin
Portland, OR