[bksvol-discuss] Re: ot: cats

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:51:18 -0500

Amy,
Yes, I think my cat can hear sound but not distinguish speech sounds from
the general blur. I know she hears some because the one thing she recognizes
is "Kitty, Kitty!" Her name is Colette, and sometimes she seems to recognize
that. She certainly hears food being put in her bowl, and of course can
openers.  I'd try the spray bottle trick, but unfortunately she tends to be
in places where everything around her would be damaged by water, such as on
top of the TV or my desk. She probably knows that...

She's not as clever as some cats I've had, but she has common sense and
street smarts. She knows enough to back up if she gets her head stuck in
something, which is more than I can say for some cats I've had. This cat is
also very very sweet. The last time I had to go on a trip without her, I was
packing my dufflebag and got distracted and had to do something else. When I
came back I found Colette laying on the bag clutching one of her miniature
stuffed animals. The sad part was, I still had to leave her. <frown>

Kellie