[bksvol-discuss] Re: old books on step 1

  • From: "Jake Brownell" <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 00:32:01 -0600

Hi Lissi,

Well you have presented an interesting quandary. I will do the best that I can
given my resources, though you may want a second opinion--and of course no
matter what anyone says Gustavo may still have a differing opinion.

First I'll ask you if you're certain the title is in all lower case. If you are
relying on a scan of the title that can be misleading as the OCR will sometimes
mess up on case with nonstandard fonts/font sizes. Also if you are relying on
the library of Congress section, don't; often times that title is written in
small letters, I just grabbed a book off my shelf to check, and despite the
normal capitalization of the title elsewhere it appeared in all lower case on
the copyright page. Gustavo may still want the title to be capitalized on the
form so it looks normal--but I have never seen a book kicked back for this.

As for the author. Well, I see that whoever submitted it left off Lois Lowry. I
would think though that this author would need to be included even though they
only wrote a portion of the book, after all she is listed as an author on the
copyright page, which Carrie's guidelines say to check.

I would not think anything would need to be added in parenthesis. Add to it
that the instructions say to represent an author already on BookShare, the name
should match what is already in the system. So in this case I would have:

The Editors at Weekly Reader's Read Magazine, Lois Lowry

In the comments section I would paste the library of congress data just like
you did in your email. Maybe before that write that you updated the author
field to reflect the authors as listed on that page.

Well I hope that is a good answer.

No, the system will not have a problem if you look at the form and then close
the window.

Good luck!
Jake