[bksvol-discuss] Re: ny times books?

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 07:45:04 -0800 (PST)

Hi gang,

I downloaded and looked at the XML version of Why We Suck, and saw that a
number of words had run together in the middle part of the book. So I withdrew
the book and looked at the original RTF file. It's perfect. There are no words
that have run together. And the book was put in the collection in early
December, way before the new site went live. I will file an emergency ticket
with Engineering about this.
My question to all of you is: has anyone else downloaded Why We Suck? Do you
see any words that have run together, especially italicized words? If you have
downloaded the book, please check page 161. About a third of the way down the
page, it should say "to ESPN". Does your book say that, or "toESPN"? "ESPN" is
italicized, but "to" is not. They've run together in the XML version, but not
in the original RTF file.
My second question is: has anyone noticed this in any of the books you've
downloaded since the new site went live, words that have run together? If so,
please let me know the name of the book and where the words are.
And to answer the question about who puts the bestsellers in, the publishers
don't give us copies, we buy and process them ourselves inhouse.

Thanks for letting me know about this situation! Carrie