[bksvol-discuss] Re: nonfiction novel

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:19:00 -0400

While some reserve the belief that non-fiction novels cannot exist, most
literary critics accept the term and point to either "On The Road" or "In
Cold Blood" or both as the foundings of the movement.  Others call it "the
new journalism" as "journalism" does not have room for the authors to inject
themselves or fictional characters or scenes into their work.

The "non-fiction" novel does arise from the terms of art used by literary
critics and those who publish in scholarly journals as there is no other
really good short description of the medium.  It's somewhat controversial
but until a better adjective comes along, it's all we have.

Cdh, who spends far too much of his time increasing his audidactal knowledge
of all things related to "English" than is healthy.